When the Noise in Your Air Conditioner Compressor Sounds Like Trouble
There are many unusual noises that can be associated with your air conditioner, but you should be on especially high alert for any noise in your air conditioner compressor. The compressor is the heart of your system, and when it fails, it’s just as serious as losing the motor in your car. Fortunately, by listening for early warning signs, you may be able to stop any problems early before they turn into catastrophes.
Different noises that come from your air conditioner can mean many different things, and you should learn how to identify them. For a few examples:
- Clanking and banging can mean a loose piston pump, crankshaft or connecting rod in the compressor.
- Bubbling and hissing can indicate a refrigerant leak. Usually the louder the hissing, the worse the leak.
- Buzzing noises can mean that the motor is failing.
- Clanking and rattling in and around the compressor can indicate that motor mounts have failed, which causes motor to bounce around.
- Clicking, rumbling, and rattling at start-up usually means that the hardware is loose and needs to be tightened.
- Humming might mean the starting capacitor needs to be replaced.
Essentially, the only noises you should hear coming from your air conditioner are the whirring associated with its start-up and the constant drone of its operation. Any other noise in your air conditioner compressor should be a cause for concern. Essentially, if you have to question whether or not a problem is blossoming, have an HVAC technician check it a soon as possible.
Using professional help
While you might be tempted to try and repair your air conditioner yourself, this is highly discouraged. Being untrained, you could cause more damage to the system, shock yourself, get cut up on sharp edges, or even come in contact with toxic chemicals. Instead, call the pros at Ernst Heating and Cooling. We have been serving Southwest Illinois for over 60 years, including the communities of Bethalto, Staunton, Edwardsville and Troy, and we’ll know just how to diagnose and repair any noise in your air conditioner compressor safely.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
103 customer reviews
In the HVAC industry you are likely to encounter an absolutely astounding number of terms. You’ll hear these from your technician, from the specialist performing...