Forgot Your Furnace Inspection? There’s Still Time
If you didn’t get your home’s furnace inspected this fall, don’t despair. There’s never a better time than the present if you’ve neglected furnace maintenance for a year or more. A furnace inspection and precision tuneup can help you save money on energy bills, improve home comfort, reduce future repairs, extend the service life of your furnace, and most importantly, ensure your family’s safety.
While HVAC technicians will perform different tasks during a furnace inspection and tuneup, there’s usually a basic list of steps that will be performed. The tasks are likely to include:
- Check the settings on your thermostat.
- Check and tighten electrical connections.
- Check and lubricate all moving parts.
- Check the condensate drain.
- Inspect system controls.
- Check vent system for blockage and leakage.
- Check combustion gases for accurate levels.
- Check the blower access door to verify that it keeps a tight seal.
- Check all grills and louvers for blockage.
- Survey the unit for rust and corrosion, including the wiring, drainage system, heat exchanger, and burners.
- Check the gas line for leaks.
- Verify thermostat calibration.
- Check to make sure the air filter is clean, and the right type for your furnace and home.
Your technician may also offer to perform an energy evaluation of hour home, to make sure it has sufficient insulation, isn’t experiencing substantial heat loss through windows and doors, and has tight ductwork. Even with an excellently operating furnace, if your home is losing heat, your heating system won’t be able to do its job.
If you have any more questions about a furnace inspection, please contact us at Ernst Heating & Cooling. We operate in Southwest Illinois, serving many communities including Alton, Bethalto, Edwardsville and Troy.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Hamel, Alton, Glen Carbon, Highland, Greenville, and Troy, Illinois and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about furnace inspections and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
111 customer reviews
A furnace is more than just a heating system for your home during the cold months in Illinois—it’s a source of comfort for you and...