Heat Pump Maintenance: Some Tasks Require Professional Attention
A well-maintained heat pump uses up to 25 percent less energy than a neglected one. Heat pump maintenance by a qualified HVAC technician at the beginning of the cooling and heating seasons will ensure your heat pump operates efficiently, save you money on energy costs and extend the life of your system. A professional heat pump tune-up will include these important tasks:
- Measure the airflow for optimum performance.
- Check the refrigerant level and adjust if necessary, and check for leaks if the level is low.
- Tighten and clean electrical connections.
- Lubricate the motor to eliminate friction.
- Clean and adjust the thermostat to ensure accuracy.
- Check the controls of the system to ensure heating is locked out when the system calls for cooling, and vice versa.
- Check your ductwork for loose joints and cracks, and repair with metal tape or mastic sealant.
- Inspect and clean the blower and indoor coil for efficient operation.
After your seasonal tune-up, you can do several things to keep your heat pump working efficiently for the duration of the heating or cooling season:
- Inspect your heat pump’s air filter every month and replace it when it’s dirty. A clean filter will ensure optimum airflow, maintain the system’s efficiency and prevent particle buildup inside the unit. Your air filter is also your first defense against poor indoor air quality.
- Hose down the outdoor coils every month to remove dirt buildup, which can impede the airflow to your system and cause it to overheat.
- Keep the outdoor unit free of debris such as grass clippings and weeds.
- Maintain the area around your indoor unit to prevent dust from building up inside.
- Vacuum your supply and return registers every time you vacuum the house. Keep obstructions away from the registers to maintain proper airflow to your system.
- Operate your heat pump according to the manufacturer’s directions to save energy. Always keep the fan setting on “AUTO” unless you just require indoor ventilation, with or without heating or cooling.
For more expert advice about heat pump maintenance, or to schedule your heat pump tune-up today, please contact us at Ernst Heating & Cooling, keeping Metro-East residents comfortable year round.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Hamel, Illinois and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about heat pump maintenace and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
104 customer reviews
Your air conditioner should last for about 15 years with proper care and maintenance. Neglecting your air conditioning unit could cut its lifetime in half....