Are you are having issues with your air conditioner and facing the dilemma of whether to repair your cooling system or replace it entirely? If so, follow these tips to determine which option would most benefit you and your home.
When to Repair or Replace Your Air Conditioner:
- Old Unit: If your air conditioner is more than 10 years old, replacement can be a good long-term investment even if your current equipment seems to be working OK. The energy efficiency between a decade-old A/C and a new high-efficiency model will translate into substantial savings on your energy bills. The newer models also can be depended upon to provide more even and efficient cooling.
- Frequent Repairs: If your air conditioner is unreliable and requires frequent repairs, it’s time to consider an upgrade. This is not only because the cost of repeated repairs could go toward a new cooling system, but also because such breakdowns can signal that your equipment is nearing the end of its useful life.
- Noisy System: If your air conditioner makes loud noises while it’s running, that could be a red flag for serious mechanical issues. Your trusted HVAC technician will be able to tell you whether the repair is cheap and easy or difficult and costly.
- Varying Room Temperatures: If you have noticed that some of the rooms in your home are either too humid or too drafty, the conditioned air from your system may not be circulating through your home efficiently.
- Polluted Air: Newer air conditioning units typically have filters that can trap fine air particles much more efficiently than the filters on older units. The benefit of cleaner air is something to consider when deciding to repair or replace.
If you have noticed some of these issues with your cooling system or you would like more information, contact Ernst Heating & Cooling today and let our experts help you with your concerns. We’ve been serving the Metro-East area since 1951.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about air conditioners and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.