The Metro-East area is known for its hot, humid summers, where an air conditioner is a welcome, if not mandatory, feature of any home. While annual maintenance can help keep your cooling equipment in top form, you may still encounter problems from time to time. Here are some of the more common A/C problems to watch for:
- Drainage issues. The condensate drain may become clogged, particularly during times of high humidity. A type of algae can grow inside the line, causing it to back up. That standing water can overflow, causing water damage, or become a breeding ground for mold.
- Refrigerant leaks. Aside from being hazardous to the environment, refrigerant leaks are also hazardous to the efficiency and performance of your A/C. A leak must be repaired; it’s not as simple as topping off the refrigerant level. Once repairs are made, it’s important that an HVAC professional charge the unit with the exact amount specified by the manufacturer.
- Electrical control issues. Wires and terminals can corrode over time, and all connections should be inspected during annual maintenance. Frequent cycling, as with an oversized system, can cause both the fan and compressor controls to become worn.
- Incorrect operation. Your unit may be working overtime, or unable to keep up with your temperature demands, if doors or windows are left open during operation. In the case of individual room air conditioners, the best results will be obtained when the area to be cooled is closed off from the rest of the home.
- Insufficient maintenance. A/C problems are much more common with units that do not receive annual service. A dirty, neglected system works harder, parts can wear out faster, and the overall lifespan of the unit will be shortened.
- Improper installation. If your A/C is incorrectly sized or installed incorrectly, a host of problems can occur. Reduced airflow can leave you uncomfortable, while leaky ducts can waste energy and degrade indoor air quality.
For more than 60 years, Ernst Heating & Cooling has been providing quality service to residents of the Metro-East area. Call us today for more information regarding common A/C problems, or any other HVAC concerns.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Hamel, Illinois and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about common A/C problems and other HVAC topics, visit our blog.