Considering A New AC Unit? SEER & Other Features To Look For
Shopping for a new A/C can be overwhelming. There are dozens of possibilities to choose from, and this large investment is one you certainly don’t want to take lightly. Perhaps you’re considering a new A/C with a high Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER). This is certainly a good start, since SEER ratings indicate how efficiently your new A/C will perform over the summer. However, you must go further when considering a new A/C if you want to get the most out of your investment.
Here’s a look at six other features that are worth investing in.
- Thermal expansion valve: You can save energy and money with this feature. When our area really starts to heat up, the expansion valve allows more refrigerant through the system. At other times, the valve restricts the flow of refrigerant to save you money when the weather is relatively mild.
- Variable speed air handler: With the ability to run at varied speeds, the air handler keeps your home comfortable while saving money by running on low speed most of the time. Then, when cooling demand increases, so does the speed of the air handler. The more continuous, low-speed operation is better for air filtration and humidity control in your home.
- Quiet operation: You don’t want a noisy outdoor unit to bother your neighbors or create a racket while you’re trying to enjoy time in the yard. A quiet system is nice to have no matter how you look at it.
- Fan-only switch: At night when it’s cooler, fan-only operation can save you a considerable amount of energy while still circulating air in your home.
- Filter-check light: You don’t have to guess the right time to change your air filter if you’re considering a new A/C with this feature. The light illuminates automatically after a certain number of operating hours.
- Automatic-delay fan switch: This device allows the blower fan to run a few minutes longer than the compressor so residual cool air can be blown from the ducts and into living spaces.
For more information about choosing a new A/C for your Metro-East home, please contact Ernst Heating & Cooling today.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about considering a new A/C and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
284 customer reviews