Have Your Air-Conditioning System Checked Out Now To Keep It Humming All Summer Long
Summer is near and so is the hot weather. Regular maintenance on your air conditioning system is important this time of year in order to avoid costly repairs during the peak summer season. This should include both home and professional maintenance.
Here’s a list of things you can do yourself to help prepare your cooling system for the warmer weather:
- Plan your maintenance during the spring season. Waiting until summer can mean higher repair costs during peak season.
- Check the air filter and replace it if it’s dirty, or if enough time has passed since the last replacement (according to manufacturer’s instructions).
- Check the condensing unit located outside on the side of the house. Be sure to clear away grass and debris around the unit. Spray it down with water to remove dirt. Spray it every month.
- Check all indoor air vents. Move furniture away from the vents to ensure proper air flow throughout your home.
- Close vents in unoccupied rooms and areas. This can help increase air flow in occupied rooms and areas.
Professional maintenance is also important in keeping your air conditioning system running smoothly all summer long. Always hire a certified professional trained in cooling systems. Here is a list of things that a trained technician will do when checking your system:
- Check air conditioning belts and oil motor wear.
- Check, clean and tighten connections and test electric terminals.
- Ensure heating system and cooling system operate separately.
- Test the thermostat.
- Check refrigerant levels and ensure there are no leaks in the system.
Be prepared for the warmer temperatures ahead. Have your air conditioning system routinely maintained to keep it running smoothly during the hot summer months. Your family will be glad you did. If you have questions, contact Ernst Heating and Cooling for answers or expert advice.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information, click here to download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
244 customer reviews