There are many different ways to reduce your energy costs. Some require high-tech gadgets to monitor energy use, while others involve upgrading to high-efficiency appliances. If you are daunted by the potential up-front expense it takes to reduce energy costs, don’t despair. There are many easy and affordable ways to reduce your heating and cooling costs, including:
- Putting the fans to work. Ceiling fans will help to cool a home during the summer months and can improve distribution of heated air in the winter. You can use the fan in a clockwise fashion to even out the heat in a room, pushing the warm air that accumulates near the ceiling out and down. When the cooling season starts, reverse the fan blade direction to counterclockwise to provide a wind-chill effect in a room.
- Changing your furnace filter. A properly maintained furnace is important for efficiently heating a home. Changing the furnace filter regularly helps your furnace perform at peak efficiency levels. The same applies to heat pump and A/C filters.
- Turning the heat down. For every degree you lower the thermostat, you can reduce your heating bill by nearly 2 percent. Investing in a programmable thermostat is another great way to control the home’s heating and cooling costs with daily and weekly energy-saving programs.
- Utilizing curtains. You can use the sun to help heat your home in the winter. Open south-facing curtains during the day to let solar radiation warm the house. Closing them at night slows the heated air’s escape. In the summer, close the curtains to reduce solar heat gain during the day.
- Uncovering vents. Make sure that HVAC vents are not blocked by rugs or furniture. Uncovering the vents will help air circulate properly throughout all areas of the home.
- Scheduling routine maintenance. Nothing will help keep your heating and cooling costs down more than preventive maintenance. A visit from a professional HVAC technician will ensure that the entire HVAC system is working properly and efficiently, helping to save you as much money as possible.
If you would like more information on ways to reduce your home’s heating and cooling costs, contact the professionals at Ernst Heating & Cooling. We have been committed to the Metro-East area since 1951 and are available to provide expert advice and assistance on all of your home comfort needs.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Hamel, Illinois and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about heating and cooling costs and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock