You want to be comfortable in your home, but you want to save on your energy bill as well. The average home spends nearly $2,000 a year on energy costs, but you can lower this amount by making use of these tips for energy savings without sacrificing home comfort:
- Use the microwave. Not only does your microwave prevent you from heating up your home on a scorching summer afternoon in the Metro-East area, it consumes about 66 percent less energy than your stove.
- Use your dishwasher. Most dishwashers, Energy Star certified models in particular, use less water than if you wash your dishes by hand. Turn off the “heat dry” setting to save even more.
- Stock the fridge. A full fridge means less cold air escapes when you open the door, allowing this appliance to work less.
- Turn up the thermostat. Set it to 78 degrees when you’re at home and 85 degrees when you’re away. Ceiling or portable fans provide airflow that let you feel more comfortable at a higher temperature.
- Use your appliances wisely. Do batches of laundry back-to-back so the dryer doesn’t have to reheat itself. Line dry when possible, and use cold water to wash your clothes. Only run the dishwasher when it’s completely full and let the dishes air dry.
- Reduce wasted energy. Switch off the lights and appliances when you leave the room, unplug electronics that leech energy when not in use, and invest in high-efficiency units.
- Conduct preventative maintenance. Have your furnace checked in the fall and your air conditioner checked in the spring.
- Seal your home’s leaks. Use weather stripping to seal and caulk doors and windows. Install foam gaskets behind the outlet covers in your home.
- Replace incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs. This will offer 2 percent energy savings for every 10 hours the bulb is on.
These simple steps that reduce the amount of electricity consumed in your home will save you money all year long without compromising home comfort. For information about efficient heating and cooling systems that can save you even more, contact Ernst Heating & Cooling.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Ernst Heating & Cooling services Hamel, Illinois and the surrounding areas.