Reducing the energy consumption in your home can pay big dividends on the amount you save on your utility bills, and this applies to hot water use as much as anything. Using hot water in your home more efficiently can save as much as 12 percent on your future energy bills.
Essentially, there are four ways that you can improve the efficiency of your water heating system. They are:
1. Upgrade to a More Efficient Model
While high-efficiency water heaters can be more expensive upfront than traditional systems, the amount of money that they can save you eventually will make up for the initial cost. When looking for a new water heating system for your home, consider the following tips:
- Consider the benefits of adding an on-demand system (also known as a tankless water heater).
- If you’re looking for a new heating/cooling system as well, consider upgrading to a geothermal system. These systems can provide hot water for your home, as well.
- Consider a solar water heating system.
2. Turn Down the Temperature
Water heating systems often come from the factory with high temperature settings. By simply lowering the temperature to 120 degrees, you can save a significant amount of money, without sacrificing any comfort.
3. Properly Insulate Your System
Properly insulating your water heating system is important, because, without it, your tank will get cooled down by the surrounding air. This will make your system waste energy trying to maintain the set temperature.
In fact, if you cover your system with the proper insulation, you can lower heat losses by as much as 25-45 percent.
4. Use Less Hot Water
The last way to reduce your energy costs is to consume less hot water. While this may not be possible for everyone, the majority of homeowners can cut back on the amount of hot water they use. Here are some ways to lower the amount of heated water you use:
- Fix water leaks in your faucets and pipes.
- Take shorter showers.
- Wait until you have a full load of laundry or dishes, rather than doing a bunch of smaller loads.
For more information on using your system in more efficiently, contact the professionals at Ernst Heating & Coolingtoday. We’ve served the Edwardsville area since 1951.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about hot water efficiency and other HVAC topics, visit our blog.
Ernst Heating & Cooling services Hamel, Illinois and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!