Solar PV Systems: Green Solutions For More ‘Green’ In Your Bank Account
Before you decide that a solar photovoltaic (PV) system is right for you, there are several points to consider. You should have a general understanding of how these systems work to see if they will be functional in your Edwardsville, IL area home.
Know Your Site’s Capabilities for Generating Solar Electricity
PV systems work well across the U.S. because they can gather both direct and scattered sunlight. The amount of electricity that is generated will be directly impacted by the amount of sunlight that reaches the solar panels. When assessing your specific location, consider the orientation and tilt of your solar PV system to make sure you can gather the most sun possible.
Solar Panel Components
- Solar Cells – The element that converts sunlight into electricity.
- Transparent Top Surface – This is usually glass.
- Rear Layer – A polymer sheet that blocks the re-entrance of water and gases.
- Encapsulant – Thin sheets of ethyl vinyl acetate that hold the top and rear together with the solar cells in between.
- Frame – Typically aluminum, running around the outer edge.
Energy Performance Ratings
- Peak Watt – Measurement of the solar PV system under ideal conditions, which typically don’t exist in the real world.
- Normal Operating Cell Temperature (NOCT) – Measurement of the operating cell’s temperature after the unit reaches a specific ambient temperature. These values are lower than the peak watt value, but they’re more realistic.
- AMPM Standard – Measurement of the solar PV’s performance under realistic conditions. It takes a whole day into account, not just sunshine hours. It also measures based on ambient temperatures, air mass and realistic light levels.
With all this information in mind, you can compare and contrast various solar PV systems that will work for your Metro-East home. For details about having this green solution installed in your home, contact Ernst Heating & Cooling.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information, click here to download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
167 customer reviews
As winter rolls out in Metro East Illinois, it’s time to start spring cleaning. And as you’re getting your home ready for warmer days, don’t...