Summer Energy Saving Tips
Although it’s tempting to crank up the AC when summer’s at its peak discomfort level, you may regret it when your energy bills arrive. The thing is, you CAN stay comfortable in your home this summer without overspending!
Don’t let the Metro East IL heat drain your energy or your bank account! Read on to get smart tips for staying cool and saving cash this summer.
Make Your Windows Work for You
Windows can be friends or enemies during summer. It’s up to you!
- Keep your windows shaded as much as possible when the sun’s out. Blackout curtains aren’t necessary, although they might be a good investment if you have a widely-used room that gets a lot of sun.
- It’s a bit of an investment, but adding energy-efficient window treatments to your home can keep the interior cooler in hot weather.
- If evening or nighttime temps drop enough, consider turning the AC off and sleeping with your windows open. In addition to keeping you cool, the natural ventilation will air out your home overnight.
Cool Thermostat Stats
Using your thermostat wisely is one of the smartest energy saving strategies.
- Turn that baby up! The lowest temp you ever set during the summer should be 72, but setting it higher can help lower your energy bills. Depending on the climate where you live, you can set it to 78 while you’re home and still stay comfortable. Keep it even higher when you’re out of the house.
- Get a programmable thermostat so you’ll have more control over the temperature in your home.
Be a Fan of Fans
Even though ceiling fans and portable fans run on electricity, they use far less energy than an air conditioner. Use them to supplement your comfort in the summer.
- When you have your ceiling fans on, you can keep your thermostat up even higher without compromising comfort.
- Avoid wasting energy by turning ceiling fans off when you leave a room.
Maintain Your Cooling System to Save Energy and Money
Keeping your air conditioner running at its most efficient is one of the best ways to stay cool and save energy. Have your system serviced before summer starts.
Our air conditioning tune-ups include:
- Professional inspection– Our comprehensive air conditioner inspection includes checking the thermostat, controls, condensate drain, refrigerant level, and all moving parts. We carefully examine every element for safety and performance issues.
- Cleaning– We thoroughly clean your A/C’s evaporator and condenser coils to help keep them running more efficiently longer. We also clean the blower to create increased airflow.
- Lubrication– As with furnaces, poor lubrication can affect every aspect of an air conditioner’s performance. We will examine all moving parts and make sure they are fully lubricated.
- Tightening and adjustments– Loose electrical connections can cause safety issues and shorten the lifespan of your system. Our techs will test and adjust blower components, and, when necessary, adjust motor voltage and currents.
Learn more about how air conditioners work and how to save energy in your home during the summer with this Energy Saver 101 infographic from the U.S. Department of Energy!
167 customer reviews
As winter rolls out in Metro East Illinois, it’s time to start spring cleaning. And as you’re getting your home ready for warmer days, don’t...