Air Conditioner Maintenance — Why Springtime Is The Best Time To Schedule
If you’re budget-minded when it comes to your utility costs, but like your home comfortable throughout the cooling season, consider scheduling air conditioner maintenance during the spring. You’ll be taking advantage of the lower demand for HVAC services before things heat up and be prepared for the warm summer days ahead.
Routine maintenance does cost money, but the savings you realize running your equipment in top condition with clean parts lowers your electric bill all summer long. When you put off maintenance, your equipment doesn’t run as it was designed to, wear and tear increases, and your system works harder to reach ideal temperatures.
One of the easiest air conditioner maintenance tasks you can do yourself is to change or clean the air filter before you turn the system on. According to the federal Energy Savers program, a clean filter can save as much as 5 to 15 percent on your utility bill. Another do-it-yourself cleaning task is removing the debris around the outdoor compressor. Anything that blocks the airflow makes your compressor work harder, driving up electrical usage.
When an HVAC technician performs seasonal maintenance on your system, he typically completes the following:
- Cleans the evaporator coil in the indoor A/C equipment. Removing the dust helps the air blowing over it cool faster.
- Oils the motor and checks the belt.
- Measures the airflow through the blower and your ducts. If you have any leaking ducts, your air conditioner may cost as much as 30 percent more to operate.
- Checks the wiring and electrical connections. He may apply coatings to ease the flow of electricity through the electrical components.
- Removes the dust and dirt from the coil and fins on the outdoor compressor.
- Measures the refrigerant level. If it’s low, the technician looks for leaks, seals them or replaces the faulty parts. He adds refrigerant within a few ounces of the manufacturer’s specifications.
Ernst Heating & Cooling has been serving the Metro East area since 1954. We provide air conditioner maintenance to lengthen your system’s life and save your energy dollars. Please contact us to schedule a visit.
278 customer reviews