Even though your air conditioner is likely designed to be robust, it’s still a complex piece of equipment that can experience performance issues once in a while. Here are some common air conditioner problems and how you should deal with them.
- Leaking refrigerant: In order to transfer heat effectively, the level of refrigerant (the charge) is important. If your system develops a leak, the only suitable solution is to call a technician to repair it. After this, he or she will adjust the refrigerant charge in accordance with manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Declining performance or fan failure: One of the most common causes of performance issues is poor of infrequent maintenance. Ensure that A/C coils are clean, and that you regularly replace the air filter. Dirty filters and coils will lower A/C system efficiency, and dirty filters, in particular, can eventually lead to motor failure.
- Controls not working: Your A/C is operated based on fan and compressor controls. If the compressor kicks on and off frequently, controls can wear out and fail. This can be caused by having an A/C that is oversized for your home. Corrosion on wires and terminals also can cause issues. A professional should check for corrosion and other problems during a maintenance call.
- Sensor working erratically: If you have a room A/C, it will have a thermostat sensor near its coil being held in place by a wire. This sensor measures the temperature of the air passing by the coil, and will trigger the A/C to turn on or off. If the sensor gets moved, you might notice your A/C acting up. To fix this, re-position the thermostat sensor carefully near the coil, but don’t let them touch.
- Leaks or drainage issues: When it’s especially humid, you are more likely to have drainage issues. Inspect the condensate drain for any blockage and clean if needed. If you’re still having issues, it could be due to poor installation.
If you need assistance fixing any common air conditioner problems in your Troy or Staunton area home, please contact us at Ernst Heating & Cooling.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Hamel, Alton, Glen Carbon, Highland, Greenville, and Troy, Illinois and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about common air conditioner problems and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock