Are you in the market for a new HVAC contractor and don’t know what questions to ask or the guidelines you should follow? To ensure that you’re not in the dark when making your decision, here are some factors to consider when choosing an HVAC contractor:
- Ask around – There’s a good chance that someone you know, whether a friend, neighbor, co-worker or even simply an acquaintance, will know of a reputable HVAC contractor.
- Obtain a list of references – No reputable contractor is going to refuse to give you a list of references. Call a few of them and ask about their experience with the company and its technicians.
- Search for special discounts – Depending on the work that you want to get done, the costs may be quite high. Check on the contractor’s website for special deals or simply give them a call.
- Be ready for a home evaluation – One of the first things that a contractor will want to do is send an HVAC technician to your home in order to conduct an evaluation of your energy usage and identify any problems.
- Inquire about licensing, bonding and insurance – In order to operate properly and safely, all three of these requirements must be met, and it’s entirely your right to inquire about them.
- Ask about Energy Star products – Your contractor should encourage you to install products that are backed by the federal Energy Star program in order to improve efficiency and save on your energy bill each month.
- Get everything in writing – If you hire a contractor for a specific project, make sure that everything is in writing every step of the way in order to avoid any conflicts later.
- Take bids – Accepting multiple bids on a single project is a great idea. Just don’t automatically go with the lower price. Look at every detail.
For more expert advice on factors to consider when choosing an HVAC contractor, contact our professionals at Ernst Heating & Cooling. We’ve been serving Alton, Glen Carbon, Maryville, Staunton and other Southwest Illinois communities for more than a half a century.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Hamel, Alton, Glen Carbon, Highland, Greenville, and Troy, Illinois and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about HVAC contractors and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock