Improve Your Home’s Indoor Air Quality as Part of Your Spring Cleaning Checklist
Can you smell the freshness in your Hamel, Illinois home’s air at this very moment? The unfortunate truth is that your indoor air quality may not be as great as you think it is.
If you want to see some immediate improvements in the air you breath in the refuge of your home, start by adding these tips to your spring cleaning checklist:
- Install UV lights – Ultraviolet lights will work with your home’s HVAC system to remove micro-organisms such as bacteria, mold spores and dust mites that can trigger or exacerbate respiratory and allergy problems.
- Replace your kitchen sponges – You may not realize it, but the sponges you use to clean your dishes will typically contain in excess of 100,000 bacteria in a single square inch. You can either replace them once a week or soak each sponge in bleach.
- Install a whole-house dehumidifier – These units are a great way to decrease the amount of moisture in your home, which will help keep mold spores from developing.
- Clean up any clutter – If you have clutter in your home, clean it up. These areas can be a magnet for dust and other particles.
- Wash your bedding – Once a week, wash your sheets, pillowcases, etc., in hot water. Doing so will eliminate any dust mites that have gathered.
- Pick up some microfiber cloths – If you want to avoid using chemicals and/or spreading dust around your home, limit yourself to reusable microfiber cloths.
- Utilize air purification – An electronic air cleaner or high-efficiency filtering system can do wonders against tiny pollutants that pollute the indoor air. Some units can even remove odors and chemical residue in your air, further improving your indoor air quality.
- Enact a “no shoes” policy – A multitude of debris and foreign particles are tracked around your home from outside. To prevent this, household members should remove their shoes when they enter.
If you would like help with improving your indoor air quality, or for home comfort questions, please contact the experts at Ernst Heating & Cooling. We’ve been serving the Alton and Hamel, Illinois area since 1951.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Hamel, Alton, Edwardsville, Highland, Greenville, and Troy, Illinois and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about indoor air quality and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
291 customer reviews