All mold stems from moisture, so if you want to eliminate mold in your home, the goal should be to modify your home environment so moisture doesn’t stand a chance. Eliminating or reducing mold will also reduce its health hazards, which can include allergies and respiratory ailments, among others. Here are seven secrets to help you combat the potential for mold growth in your home:
1) Reduce the amount of humidity in your home by using a whole-house or portable dehumidifier. A whole-house system, while more expensive than one or more portable units (unless you put them in every room), will decrease moisture throughout your home, and requires very little maintenance.
2) Dry out the areas where flooding or water damage has occurred; consider installing a waterproofing system in the basement and pulling up any moist carpet.
3) Fix any leaky plumbing. Stagnant and standing water is a prime environment for mold to grow in. Clean up pooling water immediately.
4) Make sure that the venting in your home allows air to circulate properly, with even balance between incoming and outgoing air. An HVAC specialist can help you find the right balance.
5) When it’s especially muggy outside, skip the natural ventilation and close your windows and doors. Your air conditioner or heat pump should help dehumidify your home.
6) Check to make sure no water is leaking in through your attic and that your roof gutters are draining properly, emptying the water away from your foundation.
7) Use exhaust fans when cooking and bathing. Make sure these fans exhaust the air outside rather into another part of your home such as the attic.
Above all else, remember: moisture control is the key to mold elimination.
For these and other helpful ideas about dealing with mold in your Metro-East home, contact us at Ernst Heating & Cooling.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about moisture control and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Ernst Heating & Cooling services Hamel, Illinois and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!
|Mold image via Shutterstock|