How to Spring Clean Your Home’s HVAC System in One Day
As winter rolls out in Metro East Illinois, it’s time to start spring cleaning. And as you’re getting your home ready for warmer days, don’t forget about your home’s HVAC system! Many homeowners aren’t sure where to start, but Ernst Heating & Cooling, one of Metro East Illinois’ oldest HVAC companies is here to help!
Why Is Spring HVAC Maintenance Important?
Having a clean HVAC system is important for many reasons, including:
- You’ll save money: When your system is clogged with dust and debris, it’s not running efficiently. It will have to work harder, which means you’ll end up spending more money. A clean HVAC system can help lower your monthly bills.
- The system will last longer: If the HVAC system is working harder, then that means it’s enduring unnecessary strain. Sooner or later, it may give out, and you’ll be stuck with major repair needs. Regular maintenance and cleaning helps prevent problems and ensures the system will last longer.
- It can prevent health hazards caused by polluted indoor air: Did you know that indoor air is more polluted than outdoor air? That’s why it’s a good idea to clean your HVAC system to remove debris so you don’t continue to breathe in the dirt and dust that circulates through the house.
Learn more about our Energy Savings Agreement and the benefits of spring HVAC maintenance.
Quick HVAC Cleaning Checklist
The good news is we have some simple steps to clean your HVAC system.
- For safety reasons, you’ll want to turn off the power to the system.
- Once the system is off, start by visually inspecting the ducts. Check to make sure everything looks in order and there aren’t any leaks.
- Now it’s time to begin cleaning out all the dust and dirt that has accumulated over the months. You can use the hose extension on your household vacuum to reach the inside of the ducts. Or we also recommend renting a more powerful vacuum cleaner that will make the task a little easier.
- Once the debris inside the ducts has been removed, clean all the vents, air duct covers, and grills. This can be done by wiping off dust build-up with a cloth, although some of the grills may need to be washed with soap and water if they are particularly dirty.
- Discard the old filters and replace them with new ones. It’s a good idea to do this every few months, not only when spring cleaning.
- Once you’re all done, vacuum the house to get rid of any dust that was displaced during the cleaning process.
Bonus tip: Head outside and make sure the exterior components of the system are clean, too. You can remove dirt from the condenser/compressor unit using a garden hose. And then cut back any nearby plants to make it easier for the system to pull in fresh air.
Schedule Spring HVAC Maintenance with Ernst Heating & Cooling
Spring cleaning your HVAC system is a fairly manageable project, but if you run into any problems or want help getting the system as clean as possible, consider hiring a professional in the Metro East Illinois area.
As an industry leader in Metro East Illinois, Ernst Heating & Cooling is available for any of your HVAC cleaning needs. Contact us today to schedule service.
193 customer reviews