A/C Maintenance: Best Performed Before You’re Relying on Your A/C Daily
The weather is quickly warming up. Have you scheduled your A/C maintenance yet? In order to prepare your equipment for daily use and ensure that it will run smoothly all summer, it’s important to follow these three steps:
1. Perform some do-it-yourself A/C maintenance
There are a several things that all homeowners should do to prepare their air conditioning for the summer months. First, check the A/C filter. If it’s dirty, the filter should be replaced to allow for maximum running efficiency (or cleaned if you have a reusable filter). Next, all grass, leaves and other yard debris should be cleared away from your outdoor condensing unit (the large metal box in your yard, near your house). You may also consider spraying down the unit with your hose. Lastly, check that all of your indoor air vents are free from obstructions such as furniture, drapes and rugs so the air can flow freely.
2. Schedule A/C maintenance with your contractor
In addition to your preparations, schedule a spring A/C maintenance visit from your professional HVAC contractor to ensure that your cooling system will run reliably and at peak performance levels throughout the summer. During maintenance, your technician should:
- Verify the correct refrigerant level and check for leaks if the level is low
- Search for any duct leakage and seal as necessary
- Measure for adequate air flow through the evaporator coil
- Inspect the thermostat for proper functionality and accuracy
- Check the electric control sequence for safety and to ensure that heating and cooling systems cannot run simultaneously
- Tighten any loose connections
- Lubricate moving parts
- Inspect electric terminals
3. Regularly maintain your system
Once you begin running your air conditioner daily, it’s important to keep it running at peak efficiency. Check your filter at least once a month and clean or change as necessary. Be sure to also spray down your outdoor condenser unit with a hose from time to time. Lastly, never forget to make preventive maintenance an annual priority. Regular service and a little TLC will ensure that your cooling system has a long life.
To schedule your annual A/C maintenance today, please contact the professionals at Ernst Heating & Cooling. We’re proud to serve residents of the Metro-East area.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Hamel, Illinois and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about A/C maintenace and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
161 customer reviews