As the proud owner of a cooling system, you’re probably pretty familiar with at least a few common problems that plague us here in Hamel. Maybe your system has experienced poor air flow or made some funny noises. But have you ever suspected that your system might be smelling odd?
At Ernst Heating & Cooling, we’re pretty familiar with the ins and outs of air conditioner repair. In fact, we’ve seen just about everything! Have some funky odors coming from your vents, ductwork, or the AC unit itself? You might have a problem on your hands.
For AC repair you can count on in the Metro East area, contact the certified HVAC contractors at Ernst Heating & Cooling today!
Strange Smells & Your Air Conditioner
The downside is your air conditioner is stinky. The upside is what kind of stink it is can provide a pretty clear indication of the issue. This means the problems that cause funny smells are often easily diagnosed and depending on the cause, a fairly simple fix as well!
Common odors from air conditioners include:
- Musty, dusty, thick smells. If your system kicks on and it suddenly smells like an old attic or basement, there’s a good chance you’re dealing with exactly what you’re smelling—dust and debris! When dust gets into your cooling system, it tends to settle in the unit, in the filter, and in your ductwork. This can lead to a lot of musty stench after a while, and can have your home smelling like an antique shop pretty fast. To fix the issue, you might try changing your air filter if you haven’t recently. If the problem persists, you might want to call in an expert for thorough cleaning and professional AC maintenance.
- Moldy, mildewy, rotten smells. Sometimes called “Dirty Sock Syndrome”, a foul smell of rot can come from a few sources. Usually, the cause is from a buildup of bacteria and mold on your unit as it settles throughout the months it goes unused. But this can also come as a result of mold taking hold in your ducts. If you’re having trouble with this, have them cleaned! But the problem can also arise from a clogged drain pan or damage to your air conditioner’s drainage system.
- Burning, stinky melting wire smells. We want to be really, really clear on this one. If you ever smell burnt wiring, “ozone”, or a thick burning smell from your AC system, turn it off immediately and contact your local HVAC company quickly. We’d recommend flipping the breaker as well to be extra safe. Whether you get ahold of an electrician or an HVAC specialist, it is very important that you have this addressed right away. These smells indicate exactly what they smell like, and can quickly lead to an electrical fire in your Hamel home. Don’t take chances!
Have unusual odors coming from your air conditioner in Hamel, Glen Carbon, Maryville, or surrounding areas? Contact Ernst Heating & Cooling for AC repair and inspection!
Prevent Funky Odors with Routine AC Maintenance
It’s not unusual to encounter the dusty, musty smells, though the moldy ones aren’t as common. The best way to prevent AC smells is professional AC maintenance.
With AC maintenance, trained HVAC contractors perform comprehensive care to rigorously clean and check all of the parts in your system, which will prevent most causes for a funny smell. And you’ll get better air quality and heightened efficiency to boot!
Air Conditioning Installation, Repair & Maintenance in the Hamel, Maryville, Glen Carbon & Surrounding IL Areas
Why call us? Ernst Heating & Cooling offers:
- Options. Our AC technicians make sure that you understand the repair we’re making, how long it will take, and how much it costs—and why. They will also present options to you if applicable.
- Expertise. Our AC installation technicians go through a minimum of one hour of training a week. This helps them stay on top of new technologies, HVAC trends, and new ways to help our clients.
- Innovation. Ernst was the first in the Metro East area to offer geothermal energy systems, and we are always striving to be at the forefront of the industry.
- Payment plans. Just ask; we have several financing options available through reputable national companies.