The Pros and Cons of Using a Heat Pump in Your Collinsville Home
If you are considering installing a new heat pump in your Metro-East home, you should be aware of heat pump pros and cons. Here is what you need to know to make an informed decision about whether a heat pump is right for you:
- Energy efficiency – Heat pumps provide exceptionally efficient heating, with a well-maintained machine providing 300 percent more heat than the electricity going into the system. For cooling efficiency, a heat pump will rival a top-end air conditioner. This means big savings on your energy bills.
- Dehumidify – When in cooling mode, heat pumps do a good job of controlling humidity in your home, reducing the possibility of mold and moisture related problems.
- Provides both heating and cooling – Both your heating and cooling needs are met with one system.
- Cold weather performance – Standard heat pumps have trouble providing comfortable heating in below-freezing temperatures. This is because they work by extracting heat from the outside air. When it’s extremely cold, there’s not as much heat to extract and bring inside. Considering our winter climate in Illinois, your heat pump likely will be falling back on its auxiliary electric heating element on a regular basis. You can address this issue by using a dual-fuel system, where a gas furnace provides the backup heating.
- Noise – As with any forced-air HVAC system, heat pumps use fans that can be noisy, both inside and outside. This may be an issue, depending on the placement of your unit. Check the manufacturer’s information to ensure you’re getting a quieter model.
To help you understand heat pump pros and cons and ensure you get the right HVAC system for your southwest Illinois home, please contact Ernst Heating & Cooling. We serve Hamel, Collinsville, Staunton and other Metro-East communities.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Hamel, Alton, Glen Carbon, Highland, Greenville, and Troy, Illinois and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
291 customer reviews