A Heat Pump Tuneup Can Extend the Life of Your Heating and Cooling System
Your heating and cooling system is designed to shield you from both bone-chilling winter weather and hot, humid summer temperatures year after year, with little or no complaint. The better it works, the less you think about it. Unfortunately, if neglected for too long, your heat pump will begin to lose efficiency, and you’ll start to notice home comfort levels are not being maintained. You can’t expect optimum performance from your heat pump unless steps are taken to keep it in good running order. A heat pump tuneup is a vital part of caring for your HVAC system.
Step 1 – Routine Maintenance
These simple maintenance tips promote balanced airflow throughout the system and go far in keeping your heat pump operating efficiently. You should do these tasks on a monthly basis or as often as needed.
- Clean or change the air filter according to the manufacturer’s recommendation. A dirty filter can reduce airflow through the system, limiting performance and damaging the compressor.
- Keep the area around the outside condensing unit free of vegetation, shrubbery or tree limbs so air flows freely into the system. Grass clippings, dirt and debris can gather in and around the unit and should be sprayed occasionally with a water hose.
- Make sure indoor supply and return registers are not blocked by rugs, drapes, boxes or furniture. Fix any bent or closed vents.
Step 2 – Call in the Pros
At least once a year, your heat pump should be checked by a qualified technician, who will inspect, clean and repair all aspects of the system. Tasks should include:
- Checking the refrigerant levels and topping off as needed, and repairing refrigerant leaks if found.
- Lubricating all moving parts, tightening and cleaning electrical connections, belts and motors.
- Inspecting ductwork for air leaks and confirming correct airflow through the system.
- Verifying the thermostat’s accuracy and making sure the heating and cooling functions do not engage simultaneously.
Routine maintenance, coupled with scheduled professional service, will help extend the life of your heating and cooling system. Contact Ernst Heating & Cooling today to set up a heat pump tuneup for your home in Alton, Troy or Bethalto.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Hamel, Alton, Glen Carbon, Highland, Greenville, and Troy, Illinois and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about heat pumps and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
305 customer reviews