Heat Pump vs. Air Conditioner
Looking for that perfect HVAC solution for your Metro East Illinois home? When it comes to choosing a heating and cooling system, a homeowner can come across a plethora of options. Suddenly what seemed like a simple decision has quickly become a stressful ordeal!
At Ernst Heating & Cooling, we don’t want finding the perfect solution for your home to become a source of frustration. Because of this, we’ve taken some of the sting out of the equation by devising a simple side by side of the two most popular HVAC systems available in the modern market: central heating and cooling vs. heat pumps!
Heat Pumps vs. Air Conditioners: Which Is Better?
Honestly, a more accurate question is which is better for you and your home? There is no perfect answer, and each system has unique perks to offer. It’s all about matching your needs to what the system provides!
Geothermal Heat Pumps Provide:
- Increased efficiency. Per BTU, a heat pump offers more comfort by the dollar on average. The difference is minimal in the summer (with a heat pump edging slightly ahead) regarding cooling, but much more noticeable when heating in the winter.
- Even comfort control. It’s a common frustration with central systems to experience “spots” of unconditioned air. Heat pumps provide smooth, consistent temperature control throughout the entire home.
- Quiet operation. Central cooling can be a bit noisy, while heat pumps operate at barely a whisper.
- Versatility. Swapping from heating to cooling is essentially at the touch of a button, and nearly instant.
- Durability. Heat pumps do require consistent maintenance, but not more than any other system, and they have less sensitive parts exposed to the elements. This means that generally they require less repair, and cheaper repair when they do need it.
Central Systems Provide:
- Sheer power. While slightly less efficient than a heat pump, central air is hard to beat in raw, on-demand power. This is particularly important for larger homes, or homes with a large number of occupants!
- Lower installation cost. The average installation of a central system is considerably cheaper than a heat pump, which makes it an appealing option for those on a tighter budget.
- Dehumidifying properties. Particularly important in the late summer months, a central unit boasts a much more powerful innate ability to reduce the humidity levels in your home. Geothermal systems also accomplish this to a degree, but often need the aid of whole-house dehumidifiers to achieve similar results. This makes central systems, again, more of a whole package, budget-friendly option.
So which is the better choice for your home? It depends on what you’re looking for! Heat pumps perform very admirably in our East Illinois area (in fact, we nearly have the optimal climate for them!), while a central system might be more immediately in your price range. Or you might need the raw strength of a central system for very large or high capacity living spaces.
Still unsure? Our certified specialists are happy to help! We can work with you to provide the absolute optimal HVAC solution for your home, ensuring you get the comfort you not only need, but deserve.
Heating & Cooling Services in Hamel, Illinois
Whether you think a central heating and cooling system is the right choice, or you’re interested in installing a geothermal heat pump—Ernst Heating & Cooling is the company for you. Why call us? Ernst offers:
- Options. Our techs make sure that you understand the system we’re installing, how long it will take, and how much it costs—and why. They will also present options to you if applicable.
- Expertise. Ernst’s installation technicians go through a minimum of one hour training a week. This helps them stay on top of new technologies, HVAC trends, and new ways to help our clients.
- Innovation. Ernst was the first in the area to offer geothermal energy systems, and we are always striving to be at the forefront of the industry.
- Payment plans. Just ask; we have several financing options available through reputable national companies.
- Emergency service. Don’t forget that we offer emergency HVAC repair 24/7, 365 days a year!
Ernst offers HVAC services throughout Madison County and the Metro East area—just call 618-887-6093 or make a service appointment online.
251 customer reviews