Winter Weather Tips for Your Outdoor HVAC System
You don’t need the assistance of an expert to tell you that our winters here in Metro East Illinois can be a taxing ordeal! It’s frigid, windy and snow is knocking on the front door on a regular basis. But while you’re quite familiar with the tribulations of winter here, the specialists at Ernst Heating & Cooling wanted to remind you that winter can be hard for your heating system’s outdoor unit, too!
Without proper routine maintenance, both from you as a homeowner, and from the hands of a trained professional, your heating system risks drops in efficiency and serious harm! So how can you do your part, and keep your heating system in check and ready for action?
When it comes to home heating system maintenance, repair and service, Ernst Heating & Cooling stands unrivalled! We can bring all of the skill, expertise and equipment needed to ensure you get the best service possible. Call an expert at Ernst today!
Outdoor HVAC Maintenance: Winter Checklist
The good news is that most of the maintenance you can perform on your own is quick and simple! Be sure to:
- Fend off ice. Generally speaking, the outdoor unit is a stout and hardy piece of equipment. But ice is definitely one of their weaknesses. For heat pumps it’s important to monitor the local weather. If an ice or snow storm is incoming, turn on the emergency heat function for the duration to avoid the fan freezing up, which can cause catastrophic damage.
- Clear debris and clean the outer components. Regardless of your system type, debris, grime and mess can cause a huge drop in efficiency. Use a soft brush to clear clinging debris, and a cloth for dust and other light particles. For maximum results, improved efficiency and longer unit lifespans, seek professional maintenance annually, or biannually.
- Keep an eye on the drain line. For indoor furnaces, there is a drain line running outside. This can freeze. To avoid this, insulate any part that may be exposed to outside air. If you experience a freeze, shut off the power to your furnace and use gentle heat sources (portable heaters, a blow dryer) to thaw it.
- Schedule professional maintenance. Your furnace or heat pump has a lot of internal components. These can become loose, dirty, damaged, and any number of other issues. Regular professional maintenance ensures that your system continues to run at full efficiency, improves its lifespan and avoids costly repair!
General Safety Tips
The only thing as important to us as peerless and perfect service is safety! Keep these safety tips in mind when around your furnace in Hamel:
- Never store chemicals, cleaners, flammable items or similar items near your indoor furnace.
- Change filters regularly, regardless of season. A dirty filter not only reduces efficiency, it can be a fire hazard!
- Do not store furniture or boxes near gas, electric or oil furnaces.
- When cleaning or maintaining your furnace, be sure it’s off while you do so. Burns are a legitimate concern!
- Avoid interacting with internal components.
For a two-part HVAC heating and cooling system, many homeowners consider covering the outdoor unit for the fall and winter seasons. Don’t do this! The outdoor unit will be fine, but covering it can trap harmful moisture. Feel free to knock away clustered ice gently with a soft tool, like a stiff bristle broom, but generally all of that ice will have been long gone by the time you need the system in the late spring and summer.
HVAC Service in Madison County
Ernst Heating & Cooling has been providing dependable HVAC service to your Hamel area neighbors for over 30 years! Whether you need a new system installed, an old system repaired, or an experience technician to complete maintenance on your system—we can help!
Why call us? Ernst offers:
- Our techs make sure that you understand the maintenance they are performing, how long it will take, and how much it costs—and why. They will also present options to you if applicable.
- Ernst’s installation technicians go through a minimum of one hour training a week. This helps them stay on top of new technologies, HVAC trends, and new ways to help our clients.
- Ernst was the first in the area to offer geothermal energy systems, and we are always striving to be at the forefront of the industry.
- Payment plans. Just ask; we have several financing options available through reputable national companies.
Contact or call us at 618-887-6093 for HVAC service in Madison County!
228 customer reviews