At Ernst Heating & Cooling, we are furnace repair experts! We repair all types of furnaces—even those we don’t install.
Common Furnace Problems
We’ve been fixing furnaces in the Mascoutah area for more than half a century. We can diagnose and repair any furnace problem! Here are some of the most common furnace repair issues.
Your furnace won’t start up
First: check your thermostat to make sure it’s set correctly. If the thermostat is set right, and the furnace still isn’t starting itself, the problem may be:
- A malfunctioning pilot light
- Obstructed gas or propane flow
- A tripped or blown circuit breaker
Your furnace isn’t getting hot enough
Once again, check your thermostat first. If it’s set correctly, the issue may be:
- Leaky ductwork
- A dirty filter
- Imbalanced airflow in your home
Your furnace is making noise
Here’s a quick rundown of some common noises and their causes:
- Loud noises when the furnace starts up. A loud pop at startup can indicate a number of problems. Depending on the noise, the issue may be delayed ignition, a dirty condenser, a faulty inducer motor, or a cracked heat exchanger—which is a carbon monoxide danger, so call Ernst right away if this is happening.
- Rumbling sounds from the furnace. Rumbling may mean that oil is dripping from a nozzle onto the floor and burning. If you hear rumbling, call Ernst right away—oil burning is another carbon monoxide hazard.
- Rattling or banging furnace noises. A rattle or bang that starts before the blower begins can mean your furnace has a cracked heat exchanger. This is another serious carbon monoxide danger, so, again, call Ernst immediately if you notice this type of noise.
- Groaning, whining, or humming from the furnace. These noises can happen when something is loose inside the unit, or when there is a problem with your furnace’s bearings.
We Repair All Kinds of Furnaces
At Ernst Heating & Cooling, we have the tools, equipment, and knowledge to repair whatever type of furnace you have in your Mascoutah-area home.
- Gas furnace repair
- Oil furnace repair
- Propane furnace repair
- Electric furnace repair
Mascoutah Furnace Repair: Safety First
When you have a problem with your furnace, call a professional for service and repair. Gas, oil, and propane are highly flammable and can be extremely dangerous when handled improperly.
We strongly recommend that you have your furnace professionally tuned up and cleaned twice a year to keep it clean and free of potential safety hazards.
Carbon Monoxide Safety
When properly cleaned and maintained, most furnaces do not produce more than a minimal amount of carbon monoxide. However, if your gas, propane, or oil furnace is dirty and running poorly, it can produce a deadly amount of carbon monoxide. We recommend that you install a carbon monoxide detector and alarm in your home, and make sure everyone in your home is familiar with these important carbon monoxide safety measures.
- Gas furnace and carbon monoxide safety recommendations
- Propane furnace and carbon monoxide safety guidelines
- Oil furnace and carbon monoxide safety tips
If you ever have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide, please call Ernst at 618-887-6093.
Furnace Repair in Mascoutah, Illinois
Call Ernst Heating & Cooling at 618-887-6093 for furnace repair in Mascoutah and the surrounding areas.
291 customer reviews